Wednesday 10 April 2013

Wishlist Wednesday #2


Wishlist Wednesday is a book blog hop hosted by Pen to paper, where we will post about one book per week that has been on our wishlist for some time, or just added (it's entirely up to you), that we can't wait to get off the wishlist and onto our wonderful shelves.

 On my wishlist for this week is the second book of the Selection Series.  The Elite by Keira Cass will be released on April 23, 2013 so my patience will not be tested for too long. :o)  First something about the novel :

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.
Source : KeiraCass.com

I read the first book of the series, The Selection, as well as its in-between novella, The Prince, last month.  I have yet to draft the reviews for them as I haven't made up my mind whether I loved the books or just liked them.  The key element of this series, romance, might be what keeps me on the fence.  In general, I am not a fan of romance fiction as such. I won't deny that romance can serve a purpose in the whole of a story (although I do cringe whenever faced with yet another YA insta-love), but what attracted me to this series was the dystopian aspect of the story (the citizen classes, the creation of Illea, ...), an aspect which unfortunately ended up on the backburner quite rapidly.  Moreover the fact that I can't seem to relate to one of America's love interest, Maxon, isn't really helping neither. 

I can hear you thinking, "If that's how she felt about book 1, why does she put this second book on wishlist then?". I guess I want to give the series the benefit of the doubt. I want to know what happens next to the main characters, although I have a feeling I already know how it will play out. And lastly, when I start a series, I like to see it through to the end (unless the pilot book was really that appalling that I can't bring myself to pick up the sequel).

Who else has started on this series and wants to get his/her hands on the sequel?

PS  For those of you who have yet to discover the series, I give you the official book trailer.


And spoilers for Book 2 by the author herself (she's a strange one though :o))



14 comments:

  1. I have yet to read the first book in the series but I'm looking forward to it a lot. :)

    Hope you get it soon!
    My WW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to get around to this series for a while now - looks like its on my wishlist too. Hope you get it soon!

    My WW: http://danielleheartsbooks.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/wishlist-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of this series. I haven't read it personally. I hope you get it when it comes out! The cover is super nice!
    Brittany @ Spare Time Book Blog
    My WW: http://sparetimebookblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/wishlist-wednesday-42.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't really like the first book, but I still think I might check out the sequel :) Hope you get it! Thanks for stopping by My WW!


    Janina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope that the second book will be better indeed :o)

      Delete
  5. I've heard of the series, and some people seem to really love it. Didn't I read somewhere that either a movie or TV version is coming soon? (I could be wrong...) I hope you enjoy book 2 better than the 1st!

    Lisa
    My WW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did a google search because I never heard of a movie version, but apparently it was turned into a TV film last year. I doubt that it will make it to this side of the Atlantic though.

      Delete
  6. I own The Selection but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I have heard some mixed reviews so that's probably why I haven't jumped into it yet. I love the covers though.

    Here's my WW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally understand you still want to read the second book to find out what will happen to all the people you met in the first. Good luck with waiting for the release!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is on my wishlist as well- I loved The Selection.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by today! This looks like a great choice and even though it's not my usual genre it interests me for the same reasons that it does you. I hope you enjoy it :)
    Shushkat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also I didn't know I wasn't following you, this is an awesome blog! I'm following now on GFC... do you have a bloglovin profile though as I'm using that more now?
    Shushkat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had downloaded the bloglovin app on my phone a while ago but never came round to actually creating a profile. But I jsut did and claimed all my blogs as well :o) You can find me here> Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete